Saturday, April 19, 2014

Comin' Home

I confess to having been a bit lax in posting of late, but my new tablet went belly-up and was in the shop for several days. Also, my sister was visiting from New York so that also took tim away from this little soapbox.

I'm happy to say that I will be at Rochester meetings on May 2-4 and the evening of the 5th. I have a consultation at the WSU medical school that Monday and will get a little face time with old friends in the bargain. Let me know if you want to get together.

Why do I look forward to coming back to Rochester so much? I suppose it's the almost universal feeling we have that wherever we got sober "they do it right." I know many people who swear they couldn't have gotten sober where meetings break up into several noisy tables and don't close separately and make even more noise when they do finish, which can take an hour and a half some times. Come to think of it, how did I get sober under those circumstances?

The fact is, we get sober when we need to, not where we need to. When it finally does click, we get imprinted with that flavor of the fellowship, and think it's the only way. Sort of like baby ducks.

More importantly, for many of us its the first taste of a loving and caring God experienced through the love and care of our fellow AAs. It's the end of a homesickness we didn't even know we had, and there's no place like home.

I'll pick up the blog in another day or so, but for now I look forward to seeing all of you soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment